|I, Darrin, Take This Witch, Samantha|
|Season 1, Episode 1|
|Air date||September 17, 1964|
|Written by||Sol Saks|
|Directed by||William Asher|
"Be It Ever So Mortgaged"
I, Darrin, Take This Witch, Samantha is the first episode of the first season of Bewitched. It is the series premiere.
Darrin does not know that Samantha is a witch. On their wedding night, Samantha's mother, Endora, visits her daughter. Regretting that her daughter has married a mortal, she is bent on breaking up the marriage, but Samantha insists she loves him and is going to tell him she is a witch. Endora is not convinced, and believes she will be home by morning.
Samantha tells Darrin she is a witch, but he does not believe her. To convince Darrin of her magic powers, Samantha performs a series of tricks. Darrin is shocked and needs time to think. Darrin realizes he loves Samantha and cannot give her up. He does not think witchcraft is a "proper" way to live and wants Samantha to learn to live like a mortal. Samantha is willing and able to learn.
Sheila Sommers, Darrin's ex-girlfriend, invites the newlyweds to a dinner party, saying it is "casual". Instead, it is a formal event. She embarrasses Samantha by making her think she can help her with her hair, her dress and even her nose. At first, Samantha tries not to get too upset, but gets pushed over the edge watching Sheila hanging all over Darrin. She then uses her extraordinary powers to humiliate Sheila in front of everyone. After returning home, Darrin tells Samantha she was not entirely wrong, and Sheila had it coming.
- Rehearsals for the pilot were supposed to begin November 22, 1963. However, the rehearsal was postponed because of the assassination of President Kennedy.
- Samantha was named Cassandra in the original draft of the pilot.
- Dick Sargent successfully auditioned as the original Darrin, but he was under contract at the time. He appeared as a regular on "Broadside", the studio's spin-off of "McHale's Navy".
- In the original script, Endora was not named and was addressed as "Mother".
- In the original script, Darrin's last name was Douglas.
- The role of Samantha was originally offered to Tammy Grimes.
- This episode was completed on December 9, 1963.
- The title alludes to the traditional marriage vows.
- This episode marks the first appearances of Samantha, Darrin and Endora.
- This is the first and only time that Darrin's office nameplate lists him as Vice President. After this episode and until season eight (when only his name is used on the nameplate), his nameplate lists him as Account Executive.
- This is the only time that Endora calls warlocks male witches.
- This is the only time that a window opens for Endora to come into the room.