|If They Never Met|
|Season 4, Episode 20|
Series Episode 127
|Airdate||January 25, 1968|
|Written by||Bill Idelson & Sam Bobrick|
|Directed by||R. Robert Rosenbaum |
Snob in the Grass
Hippie, Hippie, Hooray
During a fight, Darrin says he sometimes wishes he and Samantha never met, and Endora makes him disappear and decides to see if that is really true. Endora takes Samantha to an alternate universe to see what life would have been like if they never met.
In the alternate universe, Endora and Samantha find Darrin engaged to marry Sheila Sommers, but he is not happy about her ideas and plans. Samantha and Endora follow Darrin to a party at Sheila's house and then Samantha follows him to his favorite bar. He talks to his friend, Dave, about his situation and even says: "I'm not sure I love her." When he leaves, Samantha makes herself visible, walks into the bar and they bump into each other. Darrin is surprised, but buys her a martini. After they talk, he decides to break off his engagement and cancel the wedding. He begs Samantha not to leave, and she realizes he is miserable without her and returns home.
After Endora brings Darrin back home, he admits to Samantha that he would be unhappy without her.
- The premise of this episode is similar to the film "It's a Wonderful Life" in which Clarence shows George Bailey what the world would have been like without him.
- This was Gene Blakely's last appearance on Bewitched.
Bloopers and Continuity Errors
- When Endora and Samantha are flying, the wires holding Samantha are clearly visible.
- Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha Stephens
- Dick York as Darrin Stephens
- Agnes Moorehead as Endora
- Frank Wilcox as William J. Sommers
- Gene Blakely as Dave
- Paul Barselow as Bartender Al
- David White as Larry Tate
- Nancy Kovack as Sheila Sommers
- "If They Never Met" on the Internet Movie Database. Retrieved on November 21, 2019.